In a recent wave of product launches, Apple has once again left tech enthusiasts buzzing with excitement. While much attention has been focused on their premium smartphones and watch series, the Cupertino-based tech giant hasn’t forgotten about its audio enthusiasts. During the unveiling event, Apple made headlines by announcing that the AirPods Pro 2 would be equipped with a USB-C port. But that’s not all; a closer look at the iOS 17 update reveals a treasure trove of smart features for these premium earbuds.
Among the array of enhancements, some are exclusive to the AirPods 2, while others benefit various models in the AirPods lineup. Here, we delve into the details of what the AirPods Pro 2 gains with this exciting update.
A Glimpse at the New Features in iOS 17
1. Adaptive Audio: This innovative feature fine-tunes audio output based on the surrounding environment, heightening users’ awareness of their surroundings.
2. Conversational Awareness: Enabled by this feature, the volume lowers or temporarily pauses media playback when a user begins speaking, automatically resuming once the conversation concludes.
3. Lossless Audio on Apple Vision Pro: A notable exclusive for AirPods Pro 2, this feature delivers support for lossless audio when connected to Vision Pro. However, Apple has remained tight-lipped about why this feature remains inactive on other devices.
4. Personalized Volume: Seamlessly syncing with Adaptive Audio and Conversational Awareness, this feature automatically adjusts media volume in response to ambient noise levels.
5. Mute/Unmute Calls: Among the most practical additions, this feature allows users to mute and unmute calls with a simple press on their AirPods’ stems. Notably, this convenience is exclusive to the latest generation of AirPods and AirPods Max.
6. Improved Automatic Switching: A significant enhancement, this feature streamlines the process of switching between devices, ensuring a smooth and effortless transition.
In practical use, users have reported experiencing deeper bass with the AirPods Pro 2, along with enhanced performance in noise cancellation and transparency features. While updating AirPods is typically a seamless, automatic process, some users have expressed a desire for a manual update option, similar to iPhones.
To update their AirPods, users must connect them to an iPhone and navigate to the “Settings” menu, where they can find the latest version within the AirPods menu. The update process, although automatic, requires the AirPods to be in close proximity to the iPhone and charged above 50 percent. Mark your calendars for the public release of iOS 17, scheduled for September 18, 2023, to unlock these exciting features for your AirPods Pro 2.