Manila, known for its carnivorous delights like grilled chicken and spit-roasted meats, may seem like a challenging place for vegans and vegetarians. However, hidden gems across the city cater to those seeking healthy and tasty plant-based options. From Binondo to trendy Poblacion, here are the finest vegan and vegetarian restaurants in the heart of the Philippines’ capital.
New Quan Yin Chay Vegetarian
– Cuisine: Filipino, Chinese, Vegan, Vegetarian
– Description: Located in Binondo, the world’s oldest Chinatown, this Taoist-owned restaurant specializes in Filipino-Chinese vegetarian cuisine. Dive into a diverse menu featuring vegetable stir-fries, noodle dishes, and rice meals—all at budget-friendly prices.
Greens Vegetarian Restaurant and Café
– Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Filipino, Fusion
– Description: Since 2001, this family-run restaurant has been serving comforting vegan and vegetarian fare. Try their local barbecue made with mock meat and a sweet-and-savory sauce, paired with brown rice. Save room for dessert, especially their dairy-free chocolate cake.
Green Bar Makati
– Cuisine: Fusion, Contemporary, Vegan, Vegetarian
– Description: Green Bar Makati is celebrated for its high-quality plant-based sandwiches, wraps, and burritos. Don’t miss the Wild Thing burger made from “wheat meat” with soy pepperjack cheese, lettuce, onions, pickles, and secret sauce. They also offer delightful coconut-based cupcakes.
Likha Diwa Vegetarian Café
– Cuisine: Fusion, Asian, Filipino, Vegan, Vegetarian
– Description: Situated near the University of the Philippines, Likha Diwa attracts artists, poets, and writers with its creative spirit. The affordable menu offers a fusion of vegan and local cuisine, with seafood options for non-vegetarians on Saturdays during lunch and dinner buffets.
– Cuisine: Filipino, Fusion, Vegetarian, Vegan
– Description: Located in Teacher’s Village, Pipino Vegetarian specializes in plated plant-based meals made from locally sourced fruits and vegetables. Indulge in dishes like vegetarian peanut stew (kare-kare) and Filipino-Spanish pochero.
Little India Healthy Cuisine
– Cuisine: Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian
– Description: Malingap Street in Quezon City hosts this spectacular spot serving affordable vegetarian Indian cuisine. Choose from a variety of Indian delights, including samosas, pakoras, curries, and naan bread. Be sure to try South Indian masala dosa or potato pancake.
– Cuisine: Asian, Vegan, Vegetarian
– Description: In the country’s SM Supermalls, you’ll find Bodhi stalls serving vegetarian adaptations of classic Filipino and Chinese dishes. They excel in mock meat dishes like sweet-and-sour pork, menudo, and chicken curry.
The Vegetarian Kitchen
– Cuisine: Asian, Fusion, Vegan, Vegetarian
– Description: One of Manila’s oldest vegetarian restaurants, The Vegetarian Kitchen has been delighting diners since 1990. Enjoy colorful vegetarian dishes such as spinach and cream cheese dumplings and Korean-inspired grilled-mushroom bulgogi bibimbap.
– Cuisine: Middle Eastern
– Description: In trendy Poblacion, Hummus Elijah serves authentic Middle Eastern cuisine. Open round the clock from Friday to Sunday, it caters to meat eaters, vegans, and vegetarians. Try their variety of hummus, falafel sandwiches, and fresh tabbouleh salad.
Lucy in the Sky Café
– Cuisine: Fusion, Vegan, Vegetarian, Filipino
– Description: This artsy café near Greenhills Shopping Center offers reinterpretations of Filipino fare that are vegan- and vegetarian-friendly. Try their vegan-friendly palabok or their legendary Scream Chocolate Cake for dessert.
Corner Tree Café
– Cuisine: Café, Coffee
– Description: With two branches in Makati, Corner Tree is a popular choice for vegetarians. The menu features Latin American, Mediterranean, Filipino, and pan-Asian snacks and dishes. Don’t miss their baked tofu walnut burgers and Thai veggie curries.
– Cuisine: Food Stall, Fast Food
– Description: Beni’s Falafel, near the Century Shopping Mall in Makati, offers Arabic and Israeli food, including falafel sandwiches with tahini and fresh vegetables, served in pitta bread.
Cosmic Vegan Cafe and Bistro
– Cuisine: Restaurant, Vegan
– Description: Located in metropolitan Makati, Cosmic Vegan Cafe and Bistro offers a global menu, from veggie lasagnas to vegan sisig. They cater to in-house dining and deliveries and have a juice bar next door.0236+